Best Origami Projects for Kids (Part 2)
Who doesn’t love the art of paper folding? I mean, it’s easy (well, at least most of the time), inexpensive and so much fun.
So, if your kid loves origami, why don’t you introduce him or her to these fun-loaded origami projects?
#1. Origami Finger Puppet
The origami finger puppet is a classic origami design that involves lots of fun and many kids are fans of this design.
What you will need:
- 1 square piece of 5-inch by 5-inch paper, white on one side, colored on the other side
- Embellishments like glitter, sequins, and ribbons (optional)
- Your first step includes folding by placing the white side of the paper up towards you. Then, put the paper, so it’s a diamond shape with the lower corner pointing towards you.
- Fold the paper in half vertically (the left corner to the right corner) and unfold.
- Now, you will obtain a crease down the middle.
- And, fold the paper in half horizontally (the top corner to the bottom corner). Keep it folded that way.
- Fold the right corner down to the bottom center point.
- Fold the left corner down to the bottom center point.
- Fold the right flap up from the center as shown.
- Roughly place the flap with the right edge at a 90-degree angle.
- Fold the left flap in the same way as the right.
- Fold one layer from the bottom section up to the top point.
- Remember to keep one layer down for now.
- Turn the puppet over.
- It is time to fold in the edges.
- Fold the left and right edges inward.
- Keep the folds crisp.
- Now fold the remaining bottom section up to the top point.
- Fold the top middle point down.
- Fold all the layers of the top middle point down.
- Make the folds crisp.
- Turn the puppet over.
- Now you have with you a blank face for your puppet.
- Use a marker to draw its eyes, nose, whiskers, and mouth.
- Open up the bottom of the puppet, so it slips onto your finger.
- And there you have your puppet ready. Have fun!
#2. Easy Origami House
Not only kids, but I know many adults who are fans of origami house. However, there are many different ways to create this origami design. But, trust me, if you follow these easy and simple step-by-step instructions, you will have an origami house in a maximum of two hours.
Step 1 – Choose the Roof Colour: You can start by choosing the color of the paper you would like on the roof facing down. For example, if your kid has a preference for the color blue, go ahead and choose this color. Then, fold the paper in half and unfold. Fold the top edge of the paper down to the crease you just made in the middle.
Step 2 – Make Marks: Once you have flipped the paper over, left to right, fold the bottom edge up to the middle crease. After, make a tiny mark in the middle. Bring the right edge over to the left and align. Don’t fold it all but instead, just make a small mark at the top.
Step 3 – Fold to the Mark: You will notice the little crease in the middle. Based on this creased, fold it precisely in that place. Then, bring the right edge to the mark you just made in the middle. Only the fold the lower section. Pull the flap out to the right. You can now flatten that flap.
Step 4 – Finish the House: Repeat all of the steps on the left side. You can now flip the house over to the other side and have a cute little origami house! Now, I suggest drawing some lovely windows, doors and some more decorations (but of course, up to you).
Will you try these projects along with your kid? Please share your comments!