With the upsurge of the COVID-19 pandemic, wearing a mask has become a compulsory thing in public spaces such as public transport, supermarkets, colleges, etc. Secretions from the upper airways, including the nose and the mouth, may contain transmissible and infectious droplets. This is why we should wear masks to protect ourselves from the inhalation of droplets and airborne particles that could contain contagious molecules. The mask also acts as a barrier by reducing the frequency of hand-mouth contact, but how can you make your own mask?
Before you start, sterilize your equipment (scissors, sewing machine, fabrics, filter etc.) and your hands with hydroalcoholic gel or soap and water. Choose a breathable fabric and one that doesn’t absorb moisture. It is better to use a synthetic fabric (polyester), but cotton can also be used. A double layer of cotton fabric can be as 70% as effective as a surgical mask in capturing small particles!
What will you need?
- A bandana
- 2 rubber bands or hair ties
- Paper towel
- Lay the bandana flat on the table
- Fold the top of the bandana into the middle and do the same for the bottom as well
- Fold it over once more so that the flaps are in the middle
- Place the rubber bands on each side
- Take one end of the bandana, fold it over and tuck inside the opposite side
- Adjust the rubber bands
- Place a sheet of paper towel inside the mask (change each time you use it)
- Wear the mask by hanging the rubber bands behind your ears
There you go! You can now make your own mask at home in less than a minute. This can also help if you don’t have much time to run to the pharmacy and buy one. Easy, fast, and efficient! Consider sharing this tutorial with your family and friends so that we can all come together to tackle this virus! In the absence of a vaccine and drug that is effective against the coronavirus, the only way to control it is to prevent the transmission of the virus from person to person. Hence, don’t forget to wear your mask, especially in places where social distancing cannot be guaranteed!
What are the other ways you can create your own mask? Share it with us in the comments below!